Pooh Bear’s Map Quilt

Pooh Bear's Map Quilt

Pooh Bear’s Map Quilt

This is a project which has taken me since January to sew, and even longer to plan. It came about after I put an old Pooh Bear poster up on the wall over the stairs. For those who follow Feng Shui ideas, which I have started doing occasionally, it is in the area of the house for Health and Family – so having a poster full of life and enjoyed by all the family seemed appropriate to me. However, there is a radiator underneath, which kept melting the bluetack holding the poster to the wall, so it kept falling off. Usually in the middle of the night or at rather inconvenient moments. Not such great energy!

I love Pooh because he is such an easy-going bear. He doesn’t think too hard, just goes with life’s flow and does what comes naturally to him. Hunny or condensed milk? Have both – even if it does have consequences of getting stuck. Lost on a walk? Stop running in circles and listen to the hunny calling. He might be a bit daft at times, when he needs looking after, but most of the time he looks after his friends in a very gentle sort of way, not minding when they are excitable or scared or depressed or trying to be clever or bouncing around. Pooh just is. He is the sort of bear who gets regularly quoted in our family, because he just knows how to live. And who would be without a few Helping Bear or Brave Bear pencils around the place after all?

For technically minded people, the quilt uses around 24 fabrics, and was sewn on my very ordinary, basic machine with straight stitches and zig zags. I did the design by scanning the inside cover of my 1977 “The World of Pooh” (which is slightly different to the poster) and then printing out the pictures in sections. After sewing the background of mainly green squares, I traced all the other shapes onto interfacing. These were subsequently cut out and ironed onto the coloured fabrics, and then sewn on in two layers – complicated shapes such as the animals and river directly onto the green background, then the labels and tree leaves were sewn through all three layers, saving me the job of quilting the quilt later.

My most frustrating problem was how small pieces kept getting lost, as turning the quilt to sew had the effect of knocking things off my small and cluttered table… pinning them in place was done as soon as possible! (And I had to re-cut about three that only turned up in my tidying spree mentioned a couple of weeks ago.) My lettering got better with practice, especially after I realised I needed to turn the fabric when the needle was on the outside of a curve, not the inside. I was glad the original lettering style was wobbly! However adding in stitch width to the edges of my shapes was something I wish I had done from the beginning!

I have probably learned more sewing this quilt than any other project, since it was my first ever appliqué and first lettering. Both skills I have already used on another project, a birthday card for my Grandma who was 95 last month. (Congratulations to her!) Anyway I am feeling really pleased with it right now, and it looks great on the wall even if it doesn’t hang perfectly straight. (Clicking on the picture may lead to a larger version if I have got it right.)

Advertisements